Well, above our garage, we have a lovely 'play space' for the kids. As the oldest, Z (9 years) plays up there by himself mostly because the girls are too young yet. Playstation 2, airhockey, TV, etc.. The space is heated with a Rannai Monitor Heater. For those of you who are unaware, there has been a recall on some models for a leaky gasket that may release carbon monoxide into the living space.
OK, so I took our carbon monoxide detector from the basement up to the room just to relieve any fears my son might have about playing up there and BEEP BEEP BEEP. The levels of carbon monoxide were dangerously high. Wah???? Just our luck, we never hit the jackpot, win the lottery or get the winning scratch ticket, but yep, OUR heater was one of the rare few that was actually LEAKING! OMG! My baby!
My little boy, I had been sitting by his bedside every night telling him he was OK, it was just a bug or anxiety, or nerves or maybe he ate something that didn't agree. "Don't worry, you'll be OK. It will pass and you'll be alright." Uh??? So off to the doctors we went, they drew blood and yep, he had been exposed at unhealthy levels, but his blood counts look good, so as long as he does get 're-exposed' he's just fine. Terrifying.
It's something I had no control over. I can lock the doors at night, know CPR, have all the emergency phone numbers posted, bundle them up, wash their hands, tell them not to talk to strangers, protect them in so may ways from monsters. But this monster was right there. Silent. Making my baby sick. It could have been much worse. MUCH WORSE. Horrifying. Terrifying. Now we know why he has been sickly, not right. I try so hard to do everything to protect them but this I couldn't predict. The heater was new.
My world feels very out of control right now.